Sunday, March 29, 2009

My Records - Zebra "Zebra"


Today, I hit the record collection and pull out the record for the band Zebra and their self-titled debut album "Zebra".

I was trying and trying and trying to remember why I decided to buy this album. I always had a two song rule when buying an album.  Before I would pull the $5.98 trigger and buy the whole album, I had to be familiar with at least two songs.  That way, I was less likely to be wasting my money.  I was a cheap teenager.  

But after listening to "Zebra",  I can only find one song on here that I remember, "Tell Me What You Want".  I must have been enamored by those flowing locks of hair or that dangerous use of black and white on the photography.

So I start going through the record sleeve (for you sub-35 humans, the "sleeve" is that piece of paper inside of the record cover that holds the record.  Bands generally printed lyrics and credits on the "sleve").  I notice the lead singer/guitars/mellotron (what?)/synthesizers is none other than Randy Jackson.  That's right, THE Randy Jackson. No, not the Randy Jackson American Idol judge. No, not the Journey bass player Randy Jackson. No, not the Jackson Five Randy Jackson. The Zebra Randy Jackson. The Zebra Randy Jackson. The ZEBRA Randy Jackson.

So, I'm bumming for Randy because now twenty five years out from his hey-day, he's like third in line (at least) on the Randy Jackson pecking order. He can't even play the Randy Jackson card outside of his home town.

None-the-less, back in the day, I bought the album, and I must have played it on occasion.  

On this fine Sunday, I'm going with three white man overbites on the jam scale.  All hail ZEBRA!

share this: Add to Facebook

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Every song on this album is incredible. Whatever inside you that convinced you to buy the album all those years ago is long gone. RIP.