Thursday, March 26, 2009

Learning Bible verses

I know this picture must look like something out of a serial killer movie, but I just seem to have the worst mental block for memorizing things. Being a grown-up, you are probably wondering 'what the heck if there to memorize anymore'?

Well, in an effort to better myself and my place in the universe and the fulfillment of helping humanity, I go Bible class about once a month. I've already mentioned my problems with memorizing Bible stuff but it still persists. Now, the theory states that by memorizing certain Bible verses, it helps one to reflect on the meaning behind the verse, it helps one to learn concepts behind the entire Gospel, etc, etc... But like I said, I can't memorize very well. If for some reason I was forced to be an actor in a stage play, I wouldn't be able to do it.

To get around this issue, I've taken to writing the verses down in a notebook. I figure if I write it out by hand ten or twenty or thirty times, it's bound to stick in my brain. However, my teflon brain just won't commit it to memory. Now, it certainly helps me to reflect on the verse by writing it so many times, it just gets garbled and twisted when it's my turn at the pastor's house to quote the verse. I've taken to writing it on my arm or on little slips of paper that I keep hidden in the folds of my shirt.

Then it occurred to me that I'm taking crib notes and cheat sheets to Bible class. Something is just not right with all that!

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: