Sunday, March 8, 2009

My Records - Night Ranger "Midnight Madness"

Night Ranger 'Midnight Madness' - 2 1/2 White Man Overbites
on the jam scale. I still want to rock in America!

I have two Night Ranger records. I'm not sure why. My rule when I was young and buying 'records' was that I need to know two songs before I will invest my $5.98 for an entire album. I was looking for the two songs and I'm reasonably sure they were "(You Can Still) Rock in America" and the infamous "Sister Christian".

What's not to like here. They have a track name worthy of Spinal Tap leading off the record, with those parenthesis (You Can Still) followed by that insightful declaration 'Rock in America'. Whew. I was worried they weren't going to let us rock anymore.

The cover is a classic. Mullets. Parachute pants. A keyboard player who wears doctor scrubs. And a photo with about four minutes of thought put into it: 'Let's go to the backlot at Universal, grab some props, dress some extras up in different disconnected outfits and see what happens. It is MIDNIGHT MADNESS for heavens sake'.

I know what you are thinking, 'Hey Jeff, if they were so bad, why did you buy two Night Ranger records?' Touche.

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: