Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Records - Styx - "The Grand Illusion"

(Above) Styx - "The Grand Illusion".
Three white man overbites on the jam scale.

Styx - "The Grand Illusion" was one of my favorite high school records. As with a lot of what I listened to back in those dark, dark early 80's days, I put it away and didn't listen to it for many years. As history now shows us, Styx was one of the first 'corporate rock' acts. They were big, they were pushed and they made lots 'o scratch. Styx was the first 'real' concert I saw down at the Baltimore Civic Center during their 'Paradise Theater' so they always have a special place in my Uncool heart.

I listened it once again. Boy, am I creeped out. Sure, the overbite kicked in almost immediately as I started jamming but I think I finally listened to the lyrics for the first time.

From 'Grand Illusion': "Get yourself a brand new motor car". What's a 'motor' car? Adding words to get the syllables to match is a little weak.

From 'Superstars': "Superstars, yes, yes, Superstars". That's deep, brotha.

And then 'Come Sail Away', the late 70's rock super anthem... Is it really a song about aliens from outer space? I must have just bought in, I'm listening now and wondering what I was thinking or drinking or both.

'Miss America' still rocks but who cares if Miss America is under a microscope. I thought that's what she signed up for?

Still, it's good to hear an album with a bunch of songs about how hard it is to be rich and famous and the trials & tribulations of being a rock god. Sheez...

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: