Saturday, February 28, 2009

Movie Debut - ATL - The Accidental Actor


Jeff (left) delivering the famous "Congratulations" line
to actor Albert 'Albe' Daniels (center) in the feature "ATL".


I'm not really an actor, but I have a habit of turning up in things from time to time. This is my first 'big role' in the Warner Bros. feature "ATL". Two things about this 'role'. I was cast because they needed somebody who looked like a corporate lackey and they hadn't cast the role yet. I so happened to be standing next to director Chris Robinson when a producer ran over and said, "We still don't anybody cast for that corporate lackey thing."

Chris pointed at me and said, "What about him?" So I was cast. I got free food (well, I was getting free food anyway), they ironed my khakis and the next day I was in the movie.

I had one line consisting of only one word ("Congratulations"), so I was pretty comfortable with the acting part. I was more concerned with getting my cash-ola and my credit! You see, when you are trying to make your way in Hollywood, one of the rights of passage is getting your name into the Internet Movie Database. It's not that hard to get into there which makes it even more frustrating that I'm not. But I figured, major motion picture, speaking part, piece of cake.

First off, I was a touch disappointed that I had a speaking part in a major motion picture and was only able to get a check for $86 (That's $100 less taxes). But hey, I'm in a major motion picture so at least I get a credit. I go to the premiere of the movie, no credit! No credit, no IMDB. Sheez, what does a hard working Uncool cat have to do to get onto IMDB? Apparently, a speaking part in a major motion picture isn't quite enough.

So I file a grievance with SAG to get some kind of recognition. Grievance, denied. I contact IMDB, credit denied.

However, $85 check cleared. Plus, I seemed to have become popular at the family reunions with some of my nieces and nephews who are somewhat impressed with an uncle who has a speaking part in a major motion picture. Nice...

share this: Add to Facebook

3 comments:

kygirl said...

You're not the only family member in a movie! :) I was an extra in "A League of Their Own" and I was also an extra in "Seabiscuit". I did get to meet Tom Hanks and Geena Davis and Rosie O'Donnell. :) But you are much more rewarding of a credit mention than me. Also, my brother in law, Rik, has his names in the credits of "National Treasure". :)

Jeffrey Rhodes said...

Nice! I didn't realize I was so connected. Did you get a credit?

kygirl said...

No credit for me. No IMDB either! LOL