Thursday, February 5, 2009

Jack Purcell's - Part 2


I hinted in an earlier post that I own quite a few pairs of Jack Purcell sneakers. I know they are the not the coolest sneaks around but I just seem to like them. When I was a kid, I would always beg for those. The smiley face on the toe made it hard to duplicate and the parents liked them because they were cheap. The athletic tykes in my neighborhood always seemed to have them and I wanted them too.

When I first started working in television back in Baltimore, a co-worker of mine always wore them. I hadn't seen anyone wear them since I had been a kid. I asked him where he had bought them and he told me they had been discontinued. I asked how he kept them so nice, because they looked practically brand new.

He told me that a relative of his had worked for the shoe manufacturer. Before they went totally out of business, he bought dozens of pairs of the standard blue model so that he would always have a pair. He kept them all in storage. At the time, I thought he was the most bizarre thing I had heard. Now, I've turned into a Jack-head and have my own little piece of Purcell heaven in my closet.

I am now that same goober. Sheez...

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: