Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Records - Scandal featuring Patty Smyth "Warrior"


I bought this record sometime during college and paid full-price for it. I must have totally bought into the corporate line because I'm at a loss as to why I would have bought it. Remember, Jeff had a two-hit minimum before he would purchase a 'record' and this clearly has only one "The Warrior". Maybe it was the catchy hook or the tre chic music video that convinced me there would be more to it, but alas no.

A couple of things in retrospect:

1. This is the first album I can recall purchasing that had the 'featuring...' thing going on. Today, it's '...featuring Kanye West' this, '...featuring Lil Wayne' that, 'featuring this' is standard practice these days but this was one of the first I remember. It has the smell of "I'm Patty Smyth, I don't know who these people are who you stuck me with but the last thing I'm going to do is be part of some group called SCANDAL" etc., etc.

2. There is a really cool singer named Patti Smith who is a different person, even though Patty Smyth seems just fine as well.

3. On the back cover, there is a picture of the guitar dude, the bass dude, and the other guitar dude. There is no picture of the drummer dude. Did he miss the shoot date and they just kept it blank? Was he being punished? Was he ugly?

4. Also on the back cover, the words: 'Also on Cassette'. You don't see that written much anymore.

I jammed on "The Warrior", enough for two White Man overbites on the WM scale. I will never listen to this record again in my life.

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: