Saturday, May 30, 2009

How to Build a Low-Tech Web Site

I'm often asked, "How do you build such a sophisticated and technologically advanced web site?". Well, it often comes down to the tools you have available and I have the perfect web building tool: Swiss Army 2.0 for MAC.

You could probably get a better version of each of these tools separately, but with the Swiss Army 2.0 you get a lot of functionality in one piece of hardware. For example, a good web site starts with a nice background. My site is black, so I went to Home Depot, purchased a nice piece of plywood and some black paint. Using the 'saw' function of the Swizz Army 2.0, I was able to cut a piece of wood the size of my computer screen and paint it black.

For the blog entries themselves, I needed something a little more delicate, so I accessed the 'scissors' function and am able to cut-out nearly perfect letters for the text. For the pictures, I use the 'can opener' function to pry images out of my photo albums and tape those to the background above the text. I'm a big believer that a picture is a nice element to have on any blog entry, it makes the text pop.

Finally, when it comes time to post my entry, I use the flat side of the Swizz Army 2.0 and some spare finishing nails to tack my blog entry onto the internet.

By having all of these different tools in one spot, the Swizz Army 2.0 for MAC allows me to quickly and efficiently create a wonderful web site. I don't believe this will work with Windows.

(note: this is an example of what happens when you realize that there is not blog entry ready to go for Saturday and all you have is a picture of a Swiss Army knife and you've been eating too many Doritos with that weird flavored powder on them. Thank you.)

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: