Friday, April 24, 2009

Jeff's Cooking Tip #6 - Soup


Welcome back to my continuing series on how to cook. As you well may know, nobody in Hollywood cooks... anything. And many of my Hollywood friends have asked me many questions about cooking such as, "What is that funny thing that shoots fire out of the top?", "How do you get the water to be all bubbly like that?", or my favorite "I thought the kitchen was the place you kept your wine and cereal."

With this in mind, my next lesson involves one of my favorite foods: soup. Homemade soup is one of the yummiest things you could ever make for yourself and it is the dead-dog simplest thing to do.

I make a 'soup base' to which you can add tons-o-stuff to make the soup whatever you want. Watch...

1. Chop up your vegetables. A good soup has a base layer of veggies. The classic combo is onions, carrots and celery. If you are anything like me, you probably didn't care too much for these ingredients in your food but trust me. Chop them up...



2. Get a soup pot and place it on the "stove". Turn on the heat and let get hot. Add some oil and butter in the bottom of the pan and throw in the veggies (note: on this particular day, I used bacon grease to make a "Bacon" soup).





3. PUT SALT AND PEPPER ON THE VEGGIES!!!!! Cook for 4-5 minutes until the veggies are cooked down a bit.


4. Add beans and chicken broth (or chicken stock if you have it) to the pot, about 6 cups.


5. PUT SALT AND PEPPER IN THE LIQUID!!!!!!!

6. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and let simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.


Jeff's soup base is finished. You could eat it as is or...

a) Add chicken and noodles...

or b) Add some cream and broccoli...

or c) Add some tomatoes and beans...

or d) Add leftover meat from last nights dinner...

or e) Add rice and potatoes

You get the idea.

Jeff's Cooking Tips Archive:
1. Buy food and cook it.
2. Stand Mixer
3. Use Recipes
4. How to make Pancakes
5. Salt and Pepper... More than just a musical group
6. How to make Soup

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: