Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Donny Osmond vs. Jeff

Jeffrey Rhodes (left) and Donny Osmond (right).
Nearly identical. Separated at birth.

When I was kid, this haunted me. As a grown-up, it is one of my curses. I have those middle-of-the-road features that makes me look pretty much like anybody and one of the ones I get all the time is Donny Osmond.

That's right, the king of 70's white guy cheesy soul-pop, the poor man's (very poor) Michael Jackson. As a kid, it bought me no favors because I was still in elementary school and not quite sure what to do when girls thought I was cute. When I was older, it was a horrible joke.

Several years ago, I saw Donny at the airport. Of course, we both did double-takes as we passed each other. We didn't stop and say 'hello'. But we gave each other that knowing nod that said, "I know your pain, sir." And with that, we parted ways.

Now I get invited to sing in community theater (Does 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat' ring a bell?) and at oldies shows. Sheez...


share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: