Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dune Books


Begin geek alert...

I so try to fight the geek part of my nature but I just can't seem to ever win. Back in college, I needed a book to read while I went on a beach vacation. I hate swimming so I needed a book to read while I baked in misery in the sun. I picked up DUNE by Frank Herbert because I thought that running my toes through the sand and suffering in the heat while I read about a desert planet full of sand & heat would make the experience a little nicer.

I've been a Dune geek ever since. Like a lot of us Sci-Fi geeks, one of the things I like about Dune is the complete universe that has been created. I'm not going to go into detail on what that universe entails (if you know about it, there's no need for me to explain, if you don't know about it, I could never explain it quickly enough), but suffice it to say that the entire Dune universe is well thought out, constructed, rich with texture, full of memorable characters and very believable in its unbelievable way.

What makes it so cool (in my Uncool opinion) is that once the universe has been set-up, the characters and the action are as good and tight as you'd find anywhere in literature. Much like the Godfather movie, once you 'get' what's going on, then the story itself really leaps out at you and there's so much you can do.

There's six books in the original Frank Herbert series and his son has done some others, but the original six are still the best.

Geek alert over.

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: