Thursday, April 2, 2009

Comic Books about Space Stuff

(Above) My space comic books in the oversized format.

I don't think I'm breaking an Uncool ground by saying that I like comic books. As far as the fanboys go, I'm certainly much less into the comic book thing than when I was a kid or younger man. And while I certainly enjoyed my fair share of super hero comics, I found I kind of liked the ones about outer space stuff. That's right, not only did I like comics, but I liked outer space comics.

Being the pack-rat that I clearly am, I still have my comic books about outer space stuff. Two of my favorites are of course Battlestar Galactica (the original series) and 2001: A Space Odyssey. Anybody who has read the 2001 book or seen the godawful 2001 movie (I know, I know, it was so ahead of its time), will generally always be asked, 'book or movie, which did you like better?' My answer has always been, "The comic book!"

The movie was so long and boring and has been made fun of so many times, that it is really, really, really hard to watch. And I love me some space movies. And I can sit through some slower paced, talky stuff. But this movie is rough.

The comic book explains everything nicely (ala the book, which I really like), with the beautiful images that were shown in this 'groundbreaking' movie. Plus, the comic is drawn by one of the best comics artists of all time Jack Kirby.

So once again, my Hollywood Uncoolness has me hating a movie I'm supposed to like and liking a comic book that most comic book fanboys don't like. Par for the course...

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: