Thursday, January 14, 2010

Jeff's Uncool Dressing Influences - The Full Windsor

I wish I could say that I came from the womb with an absolute sense of style and panache but I did not. Since I was naturally a slob from way back (4th grade teacher Mrs. Hoffman, "Jeff, you dress like a slob") it took much advice and cajoling from friends, relatives, colleagues and 4th grade teachers to get me where I am today. Example: the full-Windsor.

As a young lad going to catholic high school, I was required to wear a tie. As a lazy high school kid, I could only tie the ugliest thing that could be considered a knot, the 4-in-hand knot (aka the schoolboy knot). Now, the schoolboy knot is famous because it can be tied quickly, without looking in a mirror, while running to homeroom. As a grown man, however, the schoolboy knot will not do.

As a young producer, my old boss-man Michael Schroeder demanded that his producers dress in shirt and tie so I complied. However, my schoolboy knot was horrific looking. Enter Dennis Winters. Dennis was the chief engineer at WBFF-TV when I was plying my producer trade. I can't remember if I approached him or he approached me but Dennis took an interest in the fact that I couldn't tie a full-Windsor like a real man. "I'll help, he says."

A couple of days later, he comes in with a step-by-step guide. Like the excellent engineer and teacher that is Dennis Winters, he has charts and graphs, mounted on cardboard with a laminated front (see picture above). "Put this next to your mirror and practice everyday," says Dennis. Less than two weeks later, I am tying the best full-Windsor knot this side of Buckingham Palace.

Being the pack-rat that I am, I still have that laminated card proudly displayed in my office. Thank you Dennis Winters for taking the time to help out a young, helpless producer in distress!

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: