Monday, January 4, 2010

The Best Gift of All: Socks

Nothing pleases a father like getting a new bag of fresh socks for Christmas. As a child, nothing would have repulsed me further than to get any item of clothing for Christmas. The child mind filters out any item of clothing and never quite connects "clothing" with "gift" on any level. As a kid, if I had received $5,000 worth of suits, clothes, shoes and one small toy I would have remembered that Christmas as the one where I got only a small toy.

Fast forward to my manhood. I'm not sure when the switch happened. I'm thinking sometime around the time when I had to buy my own clothes that I started to 'value' getting socks for Christmas. Then somewhere along the line... I started to 'like' getting underwear and socks for Christmas. Now it is one of the highlights of my year.

That whole week after Christmas, there is no bigger smile on my face than when I pull a fresh pair of socks out of that resealable back and put that virgin cotton on my size 12's. Oh, life gets no better. I always said if I won the lottery, one of big extravagances would be that I would wear new underwear and socks every day. I may try to figure out a way to make that happen without the whole lottery thing.

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: