Monday, June 1, 2009

Woodland Hills - Glaucoma Capital of the World?


(above) Two of the five weed shops near my house.

I recently took a tour of my nearby neighborhood on the ol' street cruiser bicycle. One of my goals was to scope out the local businesses for prospects for my sons for when they get old enough to try and land that first part-time job. When I was in high school, I was a happy and hardworking busboy at Velleggia's Restaurant in Little Italy and it sure paid for after school fun.

However, I was completely distressed to learn that a two minute bicycle ride from my house had me driving past not one... not two... not three... not four... but five weed shops! I never quite understood the whole medical marijuana thing and the legalities of what goes on in those places. While I certainly don't begrudge anyone their lifestyle and choices, it kind of brings a chuckle (especially if you ride by those places two or three times) when they have very medical looking signs, some in neon, with newspaper covering the glass and parking in the back.

While Ventura Blvd has about every possible store in every possible category, it just seemed odd that there were so many all in one little section. Woodland Hills indeed must be the glaucoma capital of the world.
(above) One of the six nail salons near my house.

As far as my kids and their part-time jobs go, I guess they'll have to try one of the not one... not two... not three... not four... not five... but six finger nail salons within three minutes of the house. Sheesh.

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: