Sunday, June 14, 2009

My Records - Prince "1999"


In honor of my brother Tim's birthday (soon to be one of coolest dudes in Hollywood), I am posting one my old records that clearly is not Uncool, Prince "1999". Back in the day, this was my brothers record. I would not have plunked down the $6.99 plus tax that he plunked down because I saw no future in it. I was trying track down the latest Chiliwack album while he and his pals had it correct all along.

I remember when Tim and my friends Larry & Brian (not sure who else may have gone) bought tickets to see Prince with The Time and Vanity 6 down at the Baltimore Civic Center. I was, of course, horrified at spending my hard earned busboy money on such folly and immediately passed. They on the other hand have been telling the story of that concert for the past twenty five years.

What's not to like? A bunch of out and out classics like '1999', 'Little Red Corvette', 'Delirious', 'Lady Cab Driver', and 'All the Critics Love U in New York'. It was a double album. It was an album. Prince wrote with that crazy shorthand that everybody now uses to text. The cover had a penis (tee hee) right there in the middle!

The cover also looked like it was drawn on notebook paper between third and fourth period with magic markers and magazine clippings and is still very cool.

No white man overbites on this album, it is beyond my puny scale.

A friend of mine met Prince recently and had dinner at his house. Once again, I miss out on the Prince show and the twenty five years of a good story!

share this: Add to Facebook

2 comments:

Unknown said...

salvi wants the prince album
what can we trade for it

Jeffrey Rhodes said...

What ya got?