Sunday, June 28, 2009

My Records - Steve Winwood "Back In the High Life"

When I bought Steve Winwood "Back in the High Life" in college, Steve Winwood was already 20 years into a career so he seemed old to me at the time. He was from 'the sixties'. At the time, this seemed like a mature and sophisticated buy because of his age and because he had been in such iconic groups as Blind Faith and performed with all those blues guys like Bo Diddley and Muddy Waters. But his style was, even though rockin', not really hard crunching 'white man overbite' kind of music. It is very good, and very strong, but I can't imagine it on Guitar Hero. Now, if they came out with a 'Keyboard Hero' he'd probably be the man!

It's strange because one would think this music would be more popular in a 'Jack Radio' kind of way but you don't hear Steve Winwood much these days. I listened to this album and I thought it was very strong. There are two really big hits on here "Higher Love" and "Back In the Highlife Again" for sure (which means it passed the Jeff '2 hit' criteria for purchase).


I remember a couple of other tracks that I really dug but am not so sure they were big hits "My Love's Leavin", "Wake Me Up on Judgement Day", "Take It As It Comes", and "Freedom Overspill".

It's not really the over-bite-ingest album I own but I really like it so I'm going to have to give it 2 White Man Overbites on the WMO jam scale. So there.

By the way, in lots of ways Steve Winwood is the epitome of the White Man Overbite. As a teen sensation in England, his voice was often compared to Ray Charles. So there, again.

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: