Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Planet of the Apes Stuff



Growing up in the 70's, Planet of the Apes is in my cultural wheelhouse and I love those movies. There was something so creepy about APES! taking over the world and being the highest on the food chain. This was the first movie for me where 'nuclear war destroys everything and society is rebuilt in some strange way' kind of movie and it was very scary for the young lad from B-more.

I caught a bargain on the APES! DVD set and bought all of them for my kids. They are particularly annoyed when I do my Charlton Heston imitation, "Congratulations, Tiger, you made it. You're the last man alive..." and of course, "You maniacs!" These have brought many hours of joy but they do get cheesier and cheesier as the set progresses. I'm still not convinced how the APES! eventually took over, a little weak.

When I was a kid, I'll never forget that little baby ape looking out of its cage going 'Mama... Mama', and me thinking, "Kill it! Kill it now so the apes won't take over!" I was woefully ignorant of the drama I would be denying the world if they had actually killed the baby talking ape.

I even found the original book by Pierre Boulle. A bit different with a nice twist ending. A different twist ending than the movie but a nice twist none-the-less.

As a grown-up, I'm still trying to figure out how the Statue of Liberty got all the way down to Zuma Beach in Malibu but that is a different post I suppose.

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: