Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Laundry Detergent Recipe


More than a few people have asked about how I make my own laundry detergent so I decided to break it down for you. First off, I'm cheap. The fact that I'm making laundry detergent is even kind of a line I'm not sure I'm comfortable I've crossed, but crossed it I have. Fortunately, it is not all that hard to do and the results actually work. So for you cheapies out there or just plain curious, here we go...

Ingredients: The bulk of your ingredients are available in grocery stores or box-store type joints. You need to buy BORAX 20 MULE TEAM which I got at WalMart. This is one of those things you did not realize was sold everywhere until you buy it at least once then notice it everywhere. I really like the old school design of the box. Second, you need to buy a box of WASHING SODA, Arm and Hammer seems to be the only brand of this that I've ever seen. Picked up my box at the grocery store. Third, you need to buy a bar of regular soap, I bought IVORY because it was the cheapest. Note about your bar soap: that will ultimately be the smell and color of your detergent, so choose your bar soap with that in mind.

Equipment: You need a clean 5-gallon bucket which I bought at Home Depot, a cheese grater, and something to stir with.

Instructions:
1) Grate the BAR SOAP.

Note: I had to swat a few hands as two of my boys nearly choked on what they thought was "pizza cheese".


2) Combine two cups of the WASHING POWDER (above)...

3) With two cups of the BORAX 20 MULE TEAM (below).


4) Add powders to the bucket and mix together.


5) Bring a quart of water to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and start stirring in the grated soap. You need to add the soap a little bit at a time in order to avoid clumping.


6) Add all of the soap and stir until the entire mixture is melted. Be patient and allow it all to melt together.


7) Add this soap mixture to the powder mixture and stir.
8) Top off everything with two more gallons of water and stir again.


9) Cover the bucket with the lid and you'll some gooey, gelatinous laundry detergent in a couple of hours. I usually let it sit overnight to be safe.

Just stir and use. You can add 10-15 drops of your favorite scent (like what you'd use to make candles) for that evergreen or tangerine or lilac smell to your clothing. Welcome to the world of the cheap...

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: