Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Orioles Opening Week - Opening Day 1992



I was quite happy to be going to the all new Camden Yards on April 6, 1992.

I had had season tickets at the old Memorial Stadium with my good friend Steve Weinstein and we splurged (despite the medieval ticket hike) for more season tickets and opening day. I have gone to many, many, many games to Camden Yards but I must say that by far, those seats on that opening day were the worst I ever had: center field, underneath the overhang.

There had been a game a day or two before, the last exhibition game of the season against the New York Mets that I had also gone to so I felt lucky in that this was actually my second game at the new place. Steve and I rode the Light Rail down because we were sufficiently terrified of the projected gridlock downtown and had a good time riding the rails.

I usually don't have the best memory for games but this one I remember a lot:

Orioles defeated the Indians 2-0, in 2 hours 2 minutes. Complete game winning pitcher Rick Sutcliffe, 5 hits, 1 walk.

In the line-up that day for the Orioles: Brady Anderson, Joe Orsulak, Cal & Billy Ripken, Mike Devereaux, Chris Hoiles and one of the few games ever played by Glenn Davis.

For the Indians, Kenny Lofton, Carols Baerga, Abert Belle, Sandy Alomar Jr.

Johnny Oates was the manager and Cal Sr. was once again in the third base box.

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: