Monday, February 1, 2010

RIP Jack Purcell White Leathers - Proper Disposal

Alas, one of my favorite pair of Jack Purcell's just couldn't be repaired sufficiently. My wife finally pulled the plug, she knew I could never make the decision on my own. There was just too much dirt, too many holes, too much wear-and-tear. But just because my favorite all white leather Jack Purcell's could no longer be worn, does not mean that you just throw them away. No, sir.
You can't let a little thing like burst-out holes and long-gone leather on the sides deter one from getting a good use out of these sneaks. A confirmed pack-rat and hoarder-in-training couldn't possibly let an old pair of shoes go straight to the trash. So as my wife shook her head in disgust, I went to work harvesting the organs out of my old Jack Purcell's.
First off, remove the shoe strings. Every Jack Purcell geek knows that the shoe strings have the branded tips that are impossible to find without buying a whole new pair of shoes. So I removed the shoe strings, cleaned them with soap and water and put them straight into a two-week bath in the bleach.

Second, I pulled out the shears and removed the smiley face fish-head. These are in terrific shape and make the perfect... well... I'm not sure what, yet. But I'm gonna think of something. The same with the tongue logo and distinctive sole logo.

Every good pack rat will give you the standard slogan: "I could use them for something someday." We'll see.

Until then, they join the pile of completely worn-out Jack Purcells that I couldn't bear to throw away.

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: