Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Orioles Opening Week - Dad's Glove



With opening day for the Baltimore Orioles fast approaching and things looking bleak even by spring training standards, I thought I would begin my baseball preview. Being the the pack-rat collector, I have a few Orioles items but my most precious baseball item is not really a collectible but my Dad's old baseball glove. As a kid, my Dad had given this to us and I thought it was horrible. It didn't really fit my hand and was hard to catch with. I soon got my own glove and moved on and tried to sell it at every yardsale I could. I left it outside in the rain dozens of times. The thing wouldn't leave. It wasn't until later that I realized he was "giving me his glove".

Its a Rawlings 'Eddie Mathews', three fingers, leather, brass button. My parents wrote 'Jeff R' on the front in magic marker which is why I suppose it kept being returned.

Now it is a family treasure!

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: