Thursday, September 24, 2009

Jeff's Major Matt Mason Toys

Believe it or not, I do NOT have my collection of Major Matt Mason toys from when I was a kid. But I saw recently a note in Variety about Tom Hanks in a new MMM movie and it brought me back. Far and away, Major Matt Mason was my favorite toy when I was a kid. I was somewhat of a space geek back then (hard to believe, isn't it?) and this toy was right in my wheelhouse.

Looking back on it, my parents completely spoiled me on these toys. I had the space station, lunar trac, space sled, jet propulsion pack, space crawler, star seeker, uni-tred space hauler, space ship case, the bad aliens, the good aliens, and I'm sure a bunch of things I'm forgetting. Hours of joy in the basement at 1233 Limit Avenue in Baltimore City.

The main drawback was that they were rubber over wire and the wire broke if you bent a leg or arm too much. They had somewhat of a limited shelf life and would become useless if played with too much. I played with them too much.

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: