Friday, October 30, 2009

The Most Complicated Toilet in Existence


My toilet started experiencing technical difficulties several weeks ago. The problem: proper flushing. It was the weirdest issue. You'd flush it once and nothing would happen. You'd have to wait for it to fill-up, then flush it again for it to work properly. This toilet was never normal. It was one of those toilet that when you flushed, it was so powerful and fast and quick that you knew it wasn't a normal set-up. I was afraid that if anything were to be 'left behind' during a flush cycle, there would be major medical problems.

After weeks of hemming and hawing, I decided to try and fix the toilet. I opened it up and found this. No water. No flapper. No big ball I could adjust. I found something that looked to be an Apollo era rocket engine pump. It is called the Flushmate and here is what I found out:





That's right, my toilet comes with technical charts, graphs, studies, data, theories, and upgrades. In other words, it is going to be very expensive to fix.

I was able to track down the proper "cylinder mechanism" at Home Depot for a mere $60 (even the lady at the checkout said, "Wow, $60 dollars for that?"). I installed the cylinder mechanism using the fifteen-step procedure I was able to locate on the internet. I turned on the water, repressurized the main tank, balanced the ph, adjusted the plunger spring apparatus, re-initialized the matter/anti-matter chamber, rebooted the software, calibrated the exhaust manifold and recharged the main tank.

It still doesn't work right. I found if I hold my finger over against the threads where the cylinder meets the tank, I can get it to recharge after two or three semi-flushes. All to flush a simple toilet.

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: