Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hollywood Gigs - Shopping with Coins!


Times are lean these days in the 'wood. If you don't have a regular gig to see you through the tough times, it's getting harder and harder to live the Hollywood dream. I'm lucky that I have a regular gig right now but there's always pros and cons to the regular gig.

The problem with the regular gig is it's not quite enough. Don't get me wrong, it's great and I'm blessed and very lucky and thankful to have my regular gig, but the economy is such that my regular gig gets me about 80% there. Which brings me to one of my favorite topics: shopping with coins!

Sometimes it gets to the point right before pay-day that you need that one more gallon-o-milk to feed masses (usually on a Thursday). Remember, I have four boys (two man-child's, one big boy, one bottomless toddler), two nephews, nine neighbors, and some dude I've never seen before rolling through here consuming food and destroying property. That's when I break out the coins.

That's right, I've gone to the grocery store with a cup full of coins, head held high, to pick-up that loaf of bread, peanut butter and/or spaghetti sauce to make until Friday. The big decision arrives when its time to pay. You have three choices:

a) Go through the regular line and stand their uncomfortably while the cashier counts $40 worth of nickles.

b) Go through the self-serve line and feed $40 worth of nickles into the coin slot.

c) Drop your coins into the coin counter machine, lose a $3 fee and only buy $37 worth of groceries.

Pride usually prevents option A. The grocery store workers her in SoCal are a miserable lot. If its not too crowded, I go with B. Usually, I chicken-out and go with C.

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: