Sunday, August 15, 2010

Uncool History - Mornings on Horseback

Jeff's Uncool history series continues with Theodore Roosevelt.

"Mornings on Horseback" by David McCullough.


I'm a big fan of David McCullough so I had to get this book even if I wasn't terribly interested in the topic. Man, I was wrong. This is nice, nice book that is essential if you want to understand the history of New York.

Basically, this a chronicle of young Teddy Roosevelt from about 10 years old up to the years just prior to his becoming a national figure. Much like Benjamin Franklin, this is one of those dude who did tons of stuff, any one of which would have been incredible.

My favorite: As a kid, he had a "zoo" in his bedroom where he personally stuffed birds and animals he had personally shot. As a kid. In New York. I guess some things never change...

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: