Friday, November 13, 2009

Boulevard of Broken Chairs

(Above) The chair graveyard.

The Rhodes family is big in many ways. Oh sure, having a wife, four boys, a sister, and a couple of nephews hanging around the house makes it a big family. But I'm also talking weight. My boys are growing and eating and playing sports and eating some more and quite frankly they have little concept of the importance of not leaning back in their chairs.

As a consequence, I have a growing graveyard of broken chairs. Currently, I have six completely broken chairs awaiting repair. I have several 'in service' chairs I would classify as 'endangered'. I was given specific and detailed instructions from my step-father on how to repair the chairs and have in fact successfully repaired two chairs. The problem is that a 'proper' repair takes all day to do and three days of drying & curing and I haven't really stepped up to do it.

But with Thanksgiving approaching and more bodies on the way, it may be time to get out the glue and clamps and suck it up. Please don't take as nagging when a kindly man that looks a lot like me screams, "Stop leaning back in that chair!" It may not save your life but give that man three days of his life back!

share this: Add to Facebook

No comments: